ABB Performance Beverages: Ready to Drink Energy, Protein, Recovery Drinks



Low Fat Vs. Full Fat Dairy

September 8, 2011

Milk protein contains about 80% fast-absorbing whey which is a rich source of the BCAAs Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine. The other 20% is made up of slowly digesting casein protein which contains a high amount of Glutamine, the most abundant amino acid in anyone's body. Together, these complementary dairy proteins provide an impressive amino acid profile at a sustained digestion rate.

But what about the fat content of milk? Diet considerations aside, research published in the NSCA's Performance Training Journal suggests that low-fat dairy is more effective at supporting protein synthesis because fat digests at a slower rate than proteins or carbohydrates. This interferes with the delivery of these beneficial nutrients during the optimal 30 minute to one hour post-workout timeframe. In addition, low fat dairy has been shown to promote greater reductions of body fat. Check the facts panel on your favorite protein shake to make sure it's high in protein and low in fat.